Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Unique Experience

In our game on Friday a unique thing happened..One of my team captains was trying to score on a breakaway, it was broken up and the other team got a penalty. A little later in the period my same player received a pass and was in on another breakaway and was pulled down. The crowd was yelling for a penalty shot and the referees met. The referees then came to me and said "Coach its your choice, you can take the penalty and have the man advantage or take the penalty shot. My players looked at me and I thought for a second I have never seen a penalty shot at the high school level and my player is a senior. I told the referees we will take the penalty shot. My senior player took the penalty shot and scored. After the game his parents came up to me and said he had been practicing that shot for a long time. I learned later that the league has no way to record or account for a penalty shot so, this player's goal is recorded in the stats as an unassisted goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment