Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I support the new rules

After reading the new rules that USA Hockey has approved I support the concept behind the rule. Teaching good checking skills early is important but it must be consistent. I grew up playing hockey in New England. We were taught to keep our hands down and check with our shoulders or hips. Then I moved to Maryland and started coaching at the Bantam level. One of the first things I noticed about bantams in Maryland is that they like to hit but always have their arms up. When I asked the players why they hit/check this way. The players said "how else should I check" so, I spent time teaching checking. Concussions are always a concern when young players play hockey. Teaching how to check correctly is important.
      Next up are instructional players.

No comments:

Post a Comment